Monday, July 23, 2012

Did your mother not teach you to play nice?

Politics makes me sick. Although I believe it is a necessary evil, I find that things have gotten way out of hand. As I was looking around on various newspaper sights the other day, I kept seeing these adds that flashed red and black letters with an unflattering picture of Ted Cruz below them. The message read something like "The Real Ted Cruz- a trial lawyer helping Chinese conglomerate kill American jobs." I read this, having no earthly idea whether it is true or not, and can't help but think that the person who would PAY to make someone else look bad must be a real piece of work. Well that would be David Dewhurst, but in reality it wasn't just him, but nearly every politician out there. Do they really think that people are going to want some sissy who has to resort to name-calling in order to win, to run our great state? I know that I really don't.

While I have to settle to vote for whoever fits best ideologically, I am constantly annoyed by the smear campaigns of politicians. What even shocked me more than the smear ads of those running for Senate, were the ones I receive in the mail for local offices. A few months ago, I received a flyer for a woman running for country commissioner, against another woman, and while the text accused the other woman of "Obama-like spending" and a laundry list of other offenses, it was the presentation that struck me to be the most outrageous and ridiculous. The ad included the worst possible picture of the opponent, double chin and all, and was not only a small wallet sized picture on one side, but the flip side of the ad had the same face as the other picture, but this one was black and white and blown up to cover the entire half-page sized flyer. Upon seeing this all I could think is, what kind of rude, classless woman would resort to such a thing? At that point I was more than disgusted, not only because the picture was actually disgusting, but that the woman who created the ad included a small picture of her cute, young, manicured self lounging in the grass with her family. As if I'm supposed to see you as some sweet, innocent, loving mother now that you've said all this about someone else.

Who wants a hypocritical bully running their county, state or even country- not this girl.

No comments: